- Mary Dickey Lindsay Assistant Professor of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion in the Faculty of Nursing
My program of research focuses on informatics strategies for persons from underserved communities, namely persons living with and at risk for HIV. I have served as the PI, Co-I, consultant and project coordinator on federally funded HIV research studies. I have led or co-authored >50 publications in HIV and informatics research. My seminal research contributions focus on the development and use of health information technology for persons at risk for or living with HIV as a strategy for prevention, improving care quality, and reducing health disparities. Through my federally-funded program of research (AHRQ, NCATS, NINR, CDC), I have conducted research on the use of an electronic reminder for HIV screening in the Emergency Department that provided significant insights to policy makers and clinicians, demonstrated the usefulness of a web-based tool for improving symptom status, and led studies that provided the foundation for CDC’s development of mobile applications for HIV prevention and care.
- BA, History, Northwest University
- MPH, MBA, Health Policy and Administration, University of Illinois at Chicago
- BSN, Pace University
- PhD, Nursing Informatics, Columbia University
Education & Training
- Office Phone: 212-342-6886
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- “Effect of Nurse Reminder on Depression Screening and Management Practices of Racial and Ethnic Minorities,” Sigma Theta Tau Alpha Zeta Chapter Induction Ceremony, May 14, 2008.
- “Nurturing the Culture of Patient Safety through Nursing Science,” Capital District Nursing Research Alliance, November 5, 2009.
- “Harnessing Technologies for Behavioral and Clinical Research in HIV/AIDS,” HIV Center for Clinical and Behavioral Studies, Columbia University, September 22, 2011.
- “Patient Safety in Nursing Care,” NYU School of Nursing, April 22, 2012.
- “Evaluation of the Implementation of the NY State HIV Testing Law in the Emergency Department,” Columbia University, Research for Research Excellence Group, February 27, 2013.
- “Examining the Effect of the NY State HIV testing Law on HIV diagnosis in Emergency Department Patients," Columbia University School of Nursing, Center for Health Policy, February 28, 2013.
- “Informatics Tools for Transitional Care,” Innovative Models of Transitional Care: Bridging the Gap from Theory to Practice, Visiting Nurse Service of New York Continuing Education Course, December 16, 2013.
- “Adolescents’ Use and Perceived Usefulness of Mobile Technology for Meeting their Health Information Needs and Improving Adherence to Improved Health Behaviors,” NIH OBSSR mHealth Webinar Series, February 19, 2014.
- “The Grand Challenge: Delivery of Patient Health Data from Mobile Technology Directly to a Central Electronic Record,” National NSF Workshop on Computing Challenges in Future mHealth Systems and Applications, October 29, 2014.
- “A User-centered Model for the development of Mobile Applications (Apps) for improving prevention behaviors for high-risk MSM, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center Health Outcomes Research Group, January 30, 2015.
- “Design Specifications for Apps: A Case Study,” Health Literacy Roundtable Workshop, Institute of Medicine, March 24, 2015.
N9412 - Informatics for Practice
N9353 - Advanced Methods in Health Services Research and Policy Analysis
- 2013-15 Executive Committee
- 2011 Strategic Planning Research Excellence
- 2010- Present Doctoral Council School of Nursing
- 2012 -Present American Public Health Association
- 2007-Present American Medical Informatics Association
- 2007-Present Eastern Nursing Research Society
- 2007-Present Sigma Theta Tau
Honors & Awards
- 2014 ANI Emerging Leader
- 2014 ENRS Rising Star Award
- 2014 Dean's Distinguished Faculty Award
- 2007 The Hirsch Award for student writing – American College of Legal Medicine
- 2006 Merit Scholar - Pace University
- 2006 Dean Francis Reiter Scholar - Pace University
A PRAGMATIC CLINICAL TRIAL OF MYPEEPS MOBILE TO IMPROVE HIV PREVENTION BEHAVIORS IN DIVERSE ADOLESCENT MSM (Federal Gov)
Sep 1 2016 - Apr 30 2021
ADDRESSING HOSPITAL PATIENT INFORMATION NEEDS USING A PHR PORTAL (Federal Gov)
Aug 1 2013 - May 31 2017
USE OF MHEALTH TECHNOLOGY FOR SUPPORTING SYMPTOM MANAGEMENT IN UNDERSERVED PERSONS LIVING WITH HIV (Federal Gov)
Apr 1 2015 - Mar 31 2017
CLINICAL AND TRANSLATIONAL SCIENCE AWARD (Federal Gov)
Sep 30 2006 - Jun 30 2016
INFORMING THE DEVELOPMENT OF MOBILE APPS FOR HIV PREVENTION, TREATMENT AND CARE (Federal Gov)
Sep 1 2012 - Aug 31 2014
HEAL NY 6 GRANT (NY State Gov)
Nov 1 2011 - Sep 30 2013
SPNS GRANT CONTINUITY OF CARE RECORD AND PERSONAL HEALTH RECORD (Federal Gov)
Sep 1 2011 - Aug 31 2012
NURSE EDUCATION PRACTICE AND RETENTION (Federal Gov)
Jul 1 2006 - Jun 30 2012
- eHealth Interventions for HIV Prevention in High-Risk Men Who Have Sex With Men: A Systematic Review. Schnall R, Travers J, Rojas M, Carballo-Diéguez A. J Med Internet Res. 2014 May 26;16(5):e134. Review.
- Can the HIV Home Test Promote Access to Care? Lessons Learned from the In-home Pregnancy Test. Schnall R, Carballo-Diéguez A, Larson E. AIDS Behav. 2014 May 22
- Feasibility Testing of a Web-based Symptom Self-management System for Persons Living With HIV. Schnall R, Wantland D, Velez O, Cato K, Jia H. J Assoc Nurses AIDS Care. 2014 Jan 13.
- Assessment of the Health IT Usability Evaluation Model (Health-ITUEM) for evaluating mobile health (mHealth) technology. Brown W 3rd, Yen PY, Rojas M, Schnall R. J Biomed Inform. 2013 Dec;46(6):1080-7.
- Providers' perceptions of the factors influencing the implementation of the New York State mandatory HIV testing law in two Urban academic emergency departments. Schnall R, Clark S, Olender S, Sperling JD. Acad Emerg Med. 2013 Mar;20(3):279-86
- Schnall R, Cook S, John R, Larson E, Stone P, Sullivan C, Bakken S. Patient safety issues in advanced practice nurses' care settings, Journal of Nursing Care Quality, 2012 27:132-8.
- Schnall R, Gordon P, Camhi E, Bakken S. Perceptions of factors influencing use of an electronic continuity of care record for case management of persons living with HIV, AIDS Care, 2011;23: 357-65.
- Schnall R, Cimino J, Currie L, Bakken S. Information needs of case managers caring for persons living with HIV, Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association, 2011; 18: 305-8.
- Schnall R, Currie LM, Haomiao J, John RM, Lee N-J, Velez O, Bakken S. Predictors of Depression Screening Rates of Nurses Receiving a Personal Digital Assistant-based Reminder to Screen. Journal of Urban Health, 2010;87:703-12.
- Schnall R, Stone P, Currie LM, Desjardins K, John R, Bakken S. Development and Initial Validation of a Self-Report Instrument to Measure Patient Safety Attitudes, Skills, and Knowledge (PS-ASK). Journal of Nursing Scholarship 2008; 40(4):391-4.
For a complete list of publications, please visit PubMed.gov