- Assistant Professor of Nursing
Dr. Lusine Poghosyan, PhD, MPH, RN, FAAN, is a nationally recognized health services researcher with expertise in studying primary care organizations, primary care workforce, teamwork, and quality of patient care, especially for chronic diseases. Dr. Poghosyan is a Principal Investigator on multiple federal and foundation funded grants including those funded by the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, American Nurses Foundation, and Robert Wood Johnson Foundation.
Dr. Poghosyan is a recipient of multiple awards including 2009 Research Scholar Award from Sigma Theta Tau International, Gamma Epsilon Chapter; 2010 American Nurses Foundation Scholar award; 2012 New Investigator Award from the AcademyHealth Interdisciplinary Research Group on Nursing Issues (IRGNI), 2013 Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Nurse Faculty Scholar award. She was inducted as a Fellow of American Academy of Nursing in 2014 for her leadership and contributions to the health care in the U.S. Dr. Poghosyan is the Chair-Elect of the Advisory Board for the AcademyHealth IRGNI.
Dr. Poghosyan’s research produces evidence regarding how to assure patients have timely access to high quality primary care. Most of Dr. Poghosyan’s studies focus on transforming organizational structures of primary care practices to promote teamwork and nurse practitioner practice as mechanisms to increase primary care capacity.
- MPH, American University of Armenia
- PhD, University of Pennsylvania
Education & Training
- Office Phone: 212-305-7081
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Poghosyan, L. Chaplin, W., & Shaffer, JA. Validation and Psychometric Testing of Nurse Practitioner Primary Care Organizational Climate Questionnaire (NP-PCOCQ). 2014 State of the Science, Council for the Advancement of Nursing Science, Washington DC, September 18-2014
2. Poghosyan, L. Liu, J & Shang, J. Optimal Utilization of Nurse Practitioners in Primary Care: State and Organizational Forces. 2014 State of the Science, Council for the Advancement of Nursing Science, Washington DC, September 18-2014
3. Poghosyan, L. Redesigning Primary Care: Increasing the Workforce Capacity and Building Care Team Models. Center for Health Outcomes and Policy Research, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, November, 2013
4. Poghosyan, L, Nannini, A. Smaldone, A., Shang, J & Tuttle, J. Development and the Psychometric Testing of the Nurse Practitioner Primary Care Organizational Climate Questionnaire (NP-PCOCQ). Paper presented at the 25nd Annual ENRS Scientific Sessions, Boston, MA, April 2013.
5. Poghosyan, L. Nurse Practitioner Workforce in Primary Care: Current and Future Opportunities and Challenges. Panel: Preparing the Primary and Specialty Care Workforce for the Medical Home, AcademyHealth Annual Research Meeting, June 24-26, 2012. Orlando, Florida
6. Poghosyan, L., Nannini, A., Hubbard, S., & Tuttle, J. Nurse Practitioners as Primary Care Providers: Creating Favorable Work Environments in Massachusetts and New York State. Paper presented at the Michigan Symposium on Effectiveness and Implementation Research: Strengthening the Science, Ann Arbor, MI. [one of the 3 Winning Papers], September 2012.
7. Poghosyan, L., Nannini, A., Smaldone, A., Stone, P. Creating Favorable Organizational Climate for Primary Care Nurse Practitioner Workforce. Paper presented at the 2012 State of the Science Congress on Nursing Research Discovery through Innovation, Washington, DC, September, 2012.
8. Poghosyan, L. Perceptions and Attitudes of Nurses and Head Nurses about Nursing Profession and Practice in Armenia. Paper presented at the Global Alliance for Leadership in Nursing Education and Science (GANES) Conference, Washington DC, December, 2010.
NURS N 9355 Advanced Quantitative Research Methods, (PhD Course)
NURS N6826.001.2011.3, Evaluation & Application of Research (Graduate)
Student Research Supervision and Advisement:
Allison Norful, Adviser, Columbia University School of Nursing, 2014-2018 (PhD)
Malak Alashal F.Alhusaini, Adviser, Columbia University School of Nursing, 2013-2017 (PhD)
Donald Boyd, Adviser, Columbia University School of Nursing, 2012-2016 (PhD)
- 2014, Chair-Elect, AcademyHealth, Interdisciplinary Research Group on Nursing Issues
- 2012 At-Large Member of the Advisory Board for the Academy Health: Interdisciplinary Research Group on Nursing Issues (IRGNI).
- 2010-Present- American Nurses Association
- 2006 -Present-Eastern Nursing Research Society
- 2005-Present Academy Health
Columbia University School of Nursing Committees
•2014-Present, Member, Executive Committee
•2012-Present Member, PhD Admission Committee
Global Health Countries
Honors & Awards
- 2015, Fellow, New York Academy of Medicine
- 2014, Fellow of American Academy of Nursing (FAAN)
- 2012 New Investigator Award. AcademyHealth, Interdisciplinary Research Group on Nursing Issues
- 2010 ANF Scholar--American Nurses Foundation/Nurses Charitable Trust of Greater Miami
- 2010 Research Scholar, Sigma Theta Tau, Gamma Epsilon Chapter.
- 2008 PhD Award from Sigma Theta Tau, Xi Chapter
- Healthcare workforce
- Health policy
- Primary care
- Organizational impact
2013-2016, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Nurse Faculty Scholars (RWJFNFS) program, $350,000
2011-2013, Validation of Nurse Practitioner Primary Care Organizational Climate Questionnaire (NP-PCOCQ). Principal Investigator, $100,000 [Agency for Healthcare Research (AHRQ) R03 HS020999-01]
RACIAL AND ETHNIC DISPARITIES IN CHRONIC DISEASE OUTCOMES AND NURSE PRACTITIONER PRACTICE (Federal Gov)
Jun 13 2017 - Jan 31 2021
FURTHER PSYCHOMETRIC TESTING AND VALIDATION OF THE ERRORS OF CARE OMISSION SURVEY (EOCOS) (Federal Gov)
Jul 1 2016 - Jun 30 2018
PRIMARY CARE NURSE PRACTITIONER PRACTICE ENVIRONMENTS AND IMPACT ON QUALITY OF CARE AND NP OUTCOMES (Private)
Sep 1 2013 - Aug 31 2016
VALIDATION OF NURSE PRACTITIONER PRIMARY CARE ORGANIZATIONAL CLIMATE QUESTIONNAIRE (Federal Gov)
Sep 30 2011 - Dec 31 2013
WASHINGTON HEIGHTS INITIATIVE COMMUNITY-BASED COMPARATIVE EFFECTIVENESS RESEARCH (WICER) (Federal Gov)
Sep 30 2010 - Sep 29 2013
1. Poghosyan, L., & Aiken, LH. . (2015). Maximizing Nurse Practitioners' Contributions to Primary Care through Organizational Changes. Journal of Ambulatory Care Management, 38(2):109-117.
2. Poghosyan, L., Boyd, D., & Knutson, K. (2014). Nurse Practitioner Role, Independent Practice, and Teamwork in Primary Care. The Journal for Nurse Practitioners, 10(7), 472–479.
3. Poghosyan, L., Shang, J., Liu, J., Poghosyan, H., Liu, N., & Berkowitz, B. (2014, in press). Nurse Practitioners as Primary Care Providers: Creating Favorable Practice Environments in New York State and Massachusetts. Health Care Management Review.
4. Liu, N., Finkelstein, S. R., & Poghosyan, L. (2014). A new model for nurse practitioner utilization in primary care: Increased efficiency and implications. Health Care Management and Review, 39(1), 10-20.
5. Poghosyan, L., Nannini, A., Smaldone, A., Clarke, S. P., O'Rourke, N., Rosato, B., & Berkowitz, B. (2013, March 25). Revisiting scope of practice facilitators and barriers for primary care nurse practitioners: a qualitative investigation. Policy, Politics & Nursing Practice, 1-10. doi: 10.1177/1527154413480889[ranked on of the most read articles in 2014 ]
6. Poghosyan, L., Nannini, A., & Clarke, S. P. (2013). Organizational Climate in Primary Care Settings: Implications for Nurse Practitioner Practice. Journal of the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners, 25(3), 134–140.
7. Poghosyan, L., Nannini, A., Stone, P., & Smaldone, A. (2013). Nurse practitioner organizational climate in primary care settings: Implications for professional practice. Journal of Professional Nursing, 29(6), 338–349.
8. Poghosyan, L., Nannini, A., Finkelstein, S. R., Mason, E., & Shaffer, J. (2013). Development and Psychometric Testing of the Nurse Practitioner Primary Care Organizational Climate Questionnaire (NP-PCOCQ). Nursing Research, 62(5), 325-334.
9. Poghosyan, L., Shang, J. & Tuttle, J. (2013, Spring). Practice Environments of Primary Care Nurse Practitioners in New York State. Journal of Nurse Practitioner Association
10. Finkelstein, S.R., Liu, N., Jani, B., Rosenthal, D., & Poghosyan, L. (2013). Appointment reminder systems and patient preferences: Patient technology usage and familiarity with other service providers as predictive variables. Health Informatics, 19(2), 79-90. doi: 10.1177/1460458212458429
11. Poghosyan, L., Lucero, R., Rauch, L., & Berkowitz, B. (2012). Nurse practitioner workforce: A substantial supply of primary care providers. Nursing Economic$, 30(5), 268-294.
12. Poghosyan, L., Poghosyan, H., Berlin, K., Truzyan, N., Danielyan, L., & Khourshudyan, K. (2012). Nursing practice in a Post-Soviet country from the perspectives of Armenian nurses: A qualitative exploratory study. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 21(17-18), 2599-2608.
13. Aiken, L. H., Sloane, D. M., Clarke, S. P., Poghosyan, L., Cho, E.; You, L., …Aungsuroch, Y. (2011). Importance of work environments on hospital outcomes in nine countries. International Journal for Quality in Health Care, 23(4), 357–364. [An honorable mention at 2012 ISQUA conference in Geneva].
14. Poghosyan, L., Clarke, S. P., Finlayson, M., & Aiken, L. H. (2010). Nurse burnout and quality of care: Cross-national investigation in six countries. Research in Nursing & Health, 33(4), 288-298. [Research in Nursing & Health, Number 9 most downloaded paper for the first 6 months of 2011. Cited by the American Nurses Associations in its “Principles for Nurse Staffing”]
15. Poghosyan, L., Aiken, L. H., & Sloane, D. M. (2009). Factor structure of the Maslach Burnout Inventory: An analysis of data from large scale cross-sectional surveys of nurses from eight countries. International Journal of Nursing Studies, 46(7), 894-902
For a complete list of publications, please visit PubMed.gov