- Dean, School of Nursing
- Mary O'Neil Mundinger Professor of Nursing
- Senior Vice President, Columbia University Irving Medical Center
Dean Lorraine Frazier joined Columbia Nursing from The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston (UTHealth), where she was professor and dean of the Cizik School of Nursing. She completed her PhD at UTHealth in 2000 and joined the faculty in 2002, rising to professor, associate dean, and chair of the Department of Nursing Systems in 2008. Prior to that, Frazier was the dean of the College of Nursing at the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences.
Frazier is an accomplished cardiovascular and genetics researcher and is regarded as a pioneer in developing and promoting state-of-the-art translational research programs. Frazier also is a national expert in biobanking, the emerging science of collecting, storing, and sharing blood and tissue samples for the purpose of advancing medical research and providing access to genetic information. After a postdoctoral fellowship at the UTHealth School of Public Health Human Genetics Center, Frazier served as director of the UTHealth Biobank and project director for TexGen, a biobank consortium involving academic institutions across Texas. Her research into the interactions of behavior and genetics in patients with acute coronary syndrome has been funded by the National Institutes of Health.
Frazier is a fellow of the American Academy of Nursing and a fellow of the American Heart Association. She was selected for the prestigious Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Executive Nurse Fellows program in 2009. Frazier also is a graduate of the Finance and Accounting for the Non-Financial Manager Wharton Executive Education program (2011) and the AACN-Wharton Executive Leadership Program (2012).
- ADN, Southwest Texas State University
- BSN, University of Oklahoma
- MS, UTHealth McGovern Medical School
- MSN, UTHealth Cizik School of Nursing
- PhD, UTHealth Cizik School of Nursing
Education & Training
- Office Phone: 212-305-3582
Selected Presentations 2013 – 2018:
- Frazier, L. (2016, February). The Magnet Journey: Academic-Clinical Partnerships. 2016 AACN Master’s Education Conference, Master’s Education: Navigating the Present and Anticipating the Future, Houston, Texas.
- Hall, M.A., Aguiree, M., Applegate, R., Hong, Yuh-Fong, Guerrero, S.C., Bernstam, E.V., Frazier, L.Q., & Sanner, J.E. (2016, February). Sample Location and Enhanced Distribution (SLED): An Informatics for Integrating Biology and the Bedside (i2b2)-based system for biorepository data management.
- Hall, M.A., Aguirre, M., Applegate, R.J., Hong, Y.F., Guerrero, S.C., Bernstam, E.V., Frazier, L.Q., and Sanner, J.E. (2016). Sample location and enhanced distribution (SLED): a research biorepository query and request tool. Accepted for presentation at the 2016 International Society for Biological and Environmental Repositories (ISBER) Regional Meeting, Bethesda, MD, November 7-8, 2016.
- Yu, E., Sanner, J., Chung, M. H., & Frazier, L. (2016). The Development of an International Collaboration between Taiwan and US agencies for Genetic Analysis of Racial Differences. 2016 ISONG World Congress, Dublin, Ireland, August 4-8, 2016.
- Frazier, L. (2014, February). Interactions between inflammatory protein gene polymorphisms and depressive symptoms in patients hospitalized for acute coronary syndrome. Poster presented at Southern Nursing Research Society, San Antonio, Texas.
- Frazier, L., Sanner, J., Yu, E., Morrison, A., Moeller, G., & Boerwinkle, E. (2013, October). Interactions between inflammatory protein levels and depressive symptoms in patients hospitalized for acute coronary syndrome. 10th International Congress on Coronary Artery Disease (ICCAD), Florence, Italy. (Accepted)
- Frazier, L., Sanner, J., Yu, E., Morrison, A., Moeller, G., & Boerwinkle, E. (2013, October). Interactions among depressive symptoms and genetic influences on cardiac outcomes. American Society of Human Genetics, Boston, Massachusetts.
- 2018 – Present: Good Samaritan Foundation Board of Directors Member
- 2017 – Present: American Red Cross Board of Directors Greater Houston Area Chapter Member
- 2017 – Present: Greater Houston Partnership Health Care Advisory Committee Member
- 2017 – Present: Memorial Hermann Hospital System Chief Nursing Officer Council Member
- 2017 – Present: Ronald McDonald House Charities of Greater Houston/Galveston Board of Directors Member
- 2017 – Present: Star Hope Board of Directors Member
- 2015 – Present: Robert Woods Johnson Foundation Alumni Association Committee Member
- 2011 – Present: AACN Member
- 2008 – Present: American Academy of Nursing Member
- 2008 – Present: American Academy of Nursing Genetics Health Care Expert Panel Member
- 2007 – Present: The American Nurses Association Member
- 2006 – Present: American Heart Association Nursing Council Member
- 2006 – Present: American Heart Association Professional Member
- 2002 – Present: Council for the Advancement of Nursing Science Member
- 2002 – Present: Southern Regional Education Board Member
- 2000 – Present: International Society of Nurses in Genetics (ISONG) Member
- 1998 – Present: Sigma Phi Omega Member
- 1998 – Present: Southern Nursing Research Society Member
- 1993 – Present: Phi Kappa Phi Member
- 1993 – Present: Sigma Theta Tau International Member
Honors & Awards
- 2015: John P. McGovern Distinguished Professorship in Nursing and Huffington Foundation Chair, UTHealth Cizik School of Nursing
- 2011: Linda C. Hodges Dean’s Chair, The University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences College of Nursing
- 2010: Inaugural Fellow, American Heart Association Council on Functional Genomics and Translational Biology (FGTB)
- 2009: Fellow, American Heart Association Nursing Council
- 2009-2012: Fellow, Robert Wood Johnson Executive Nurse Program
- 2009: Excellence in Nursing Research Award, Sigma Theta Tau International Zeta Pi Chapter
- 2008: Nancy B. Willerson Distinguished Professor in Nursing, UTHealth Cizik School of Nursing
- 2008: Fellow, American Academy of Nursing
- 2006: Founder’s Award in Recognition of Outstanding Genetic Research and Scholarship, International Society of Nurses in Genetics
- 2002: Distinguished Alumna, UTHealth Cizik School of Nursing
- 1997-2000: Elected to Who’s Who Among Students in American Universities and Colleges
- 1998: The Harris County Medical Society Auxiliary Clinical Excellence Award, UTHealth Cizik School of Nursing
- 1993: Finalist “Secretary’s Award for Innovation in Health Promotion and Disease Prevention,” U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
- 1993: Research Award, University of Oklahoma, School of Nursing
- 1993: Excellence in Clinical Nursing, University of Oklahoma, School of Nursing
Selected Publications 2013 – 2018.
- Sanner, J., Grove, M. L., Yu, E., Moeller, F. G., Cron, S. G., Boerwinkle, E., Morrison, A. C., & Frazier, L. Gender specific differences, inflammatory response and candidate gene study of the association of depressive symptoms on major adverse coronary events. Biological Research for Nursing, March; 20(2), 168-176. doi: 10.1177/1099800417751662. Epub 2018 Jan 3.
- Yammine, L., Frazier, L., Padhye, N.S., Sanner, J.E., and Burg, M.M. (2017). Two-Year Prognosis After Acute Coronary Syndrome in Younger Patients: Association with Feeling Depressed in the Prior Year, and BDI-II Score and Endothelin-1. Journal of Psychosomatic Research, Aug; 99, 8-12. doi: 10.1016/j.jpsychores. 2017. 05.017
- Virani, S., Frazier, L., Akeroyd, J., Ramsey, D., Rajan, S., Ballantyne, C., and Petersen, L. (2016). Comparative Effectiveness of Outpatient Cardiovascular Disease and Diabetes Care Delivery between Advanced Practice Providers and Physician Providers in Primary Care: Implications for Care under the Affordable Care Act. American Heart Journal.
- Yammine, L., Frazier, L., Nikhill.S. P., Burg, M.M., Meininger, J.C. (2014). Severe Depressive Symptoms are Associated with Elevated Endothelin-1 in Younger Patients with Acute Coronary Syndrome. Journal of Psychosomatic Research. Published online on Aug. 2, 2014. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jpsychores.2014.07.019
- Frazier, L., Sanner, J., Yu, E., Cron, S.G., & Moeller FG. (2013). Using a single screening question for depressive symptoms in patients with acute coronary syndrome. Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing. 2013 Apr 30. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 23635808; [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
- Williams, P., Nemeth, L. S., Sanner J. E., & Frazier, L.Q. (2013). Thematic analysis of cardiac care patients’ explanations for declining contribution to a genomic research based biobank; American Journal of Critical Care, 22(4):320-327.
- Sanner, J., Frazier, L., & Udtha, M. (2013). Self-reported depressive symptoms in women hospitalized for acute coronary syndrome. Journal of Psychiatric & Mental Health Nursing. Epub 2013, February 5.
- Sanner, J.E., Frazier, L, & Udtha, M. (2013). The role of platelet serotonin and depression in the acute coronary syndrome population. Yale Journal of Biological Medicine. 86(1), 5-13. Epub 2013, Mar 12.
- Yammine, L & Frazier, L. (2013). Comparison of demographic, psychosocial, and clinical characteristics among younger and older persons with acute coronary syndrome. Journal of American Association of Nursing Practice, 25(2), 103-8.
For a complete list of publications, please visit PubMed.gov