- Associate Professor of Nursing at CUMC
Adult Cardiology, Electrophysiology, Ventricular and Atrial Arrhythmias, and Genetics. Cardiogenetics and strategies aimed at the prevention of Sudden Cardiac Death. The use of remote cardiac technology, to improve cardiac outcomes, in high risk cardiac populations.
Dr. Kathleen T. Hickey is an Assistant Professor of Nursing at Columbia University School of Nursing. She also holds a joint appointment in the Division of Cardiology (electrophysiology) as both a family and adult nurse practitioner, and is a Robert Wood Johnson Nurse Faculty Scholar. Her interdisciplinary clinical and research is focus is in the areas of cardiogenetics, the clinical care and management of those with atrial and ventricular arrhythmia, and the prevention of sudden cardiac death. Her recent grant awards include a R03 from the National Institute of Nursing Research focusing on arrhythmia telehealth monitoring, a Clinical Translational Service Award-funded pilot award focusing on cardiogenetics, and a Columbia University Glenda Garvey Teaching Academy award on remote web-based ICD learning. She was the first recipient of Columbia University School of Nursing’s Outstanding Young Investigator Award in 2007, and was selected to attend the NINR Summer Genetic Institute in 2009 to gain a deeper understanding of the application of genetics as it relates to her focus in area of cardiac electrophysiology.
This year she will to return to the National Human Genome Center for additional training and mentorship. Her teaching in the classroom and clinical setting have focused on topics such as advanced cardiac physical assessment, 12 lead ECG interpretation, basic and advanced concepts of arrhythmia management and the care and management of those with internal cardioverter defibrillators and pacemakers. She has published in numerous peer reviewed journals, and is actively engaged mentoring DNP students and nurse practitioner students in the Columbia University School of Nursing.
- EdD, Columbia University - New York
- FNP-ANP, Pace University
- MS, New York University (NYU)
Education & Training
- Office Phone: 212 305-4944
- Fax: 212 342-5540
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- 2010-2014 Columbia University School of Nursing PhD Exam Committee
- 2010-2013 Research Committee on the International Society on Nursing Genetics
- 2009-Present CUSON Representative, Advisory Committee on Faculty Professional Development College of Physicians & Surgeons of Columbia University
- 2009-present CUSON Representative, Advisory Committee on Faculty Professional Development, College of Physicians & Surgeons of Columbia University
- American Heart Association
- International Society on Nursing Genetics
- The Council on the Advancement of Nursing Science
Honors & Awards
- 2014 Selected by the Academic Nurse Credentialing Center as Genetic Content Exam Expert.
- 2014 International Society on Nursing Genetics Founders Award, Research Award.
- 2014-16 Co-chair, the Genetic Expert Panel of the American Academy of Nursing
2014 Selected by the NIH and ANA to present at the IOM Roundtable on Genomics
(Only nurse scientist)
2013 Selected by AHA members to co-author the first educational Cardiogenomics
- 2012 Elected to the Anna Maxwell Teaching Academy, Columbia University.
- 2012 Recipient of The Woman of Outstanding Leadership in Nursing from the International Women’s Leadership Association.
- 2012 Elected as a Fellow of the American Heart Association (FAHA).
- 2011 -2016 Elected American Heart Association liaison of the Cardiovascular Nursing to the Council to Functional Genomics Council
- 2011 Elected as a fellow to the American Academy of Nursing (FAAN) induction October 2011.
- 2009-present Atrial Fibrillation Clinical Expert Advisory Board, Boehringer Ingelheim Pharma
- 2009-2012 Robert Wood Johnson Nurse Faculty Scholar
- 2009-2011 Elected to the Executive Committee, Columbia University School of Nursing
- 2009 Graduate, Summer Genetics Institute (SGI), National Institute of Nursing Research, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD
- 2008-present Member, ISONG International Society on Nursing Genetics
- 2007 1st recipient of the Outstanding Young Investigator Award, Columbia University School of Nursing
IPHONE HELPING EVALUATED ATRIAL FIBRILLATION RHYTHM THROUGH TECHNOLOGY (IHEART) (Federal Gov)
Aug 1 2014 - May 31 2019
HOME ECG MONITORING TO DETECT ALLOGRAFT REJECTION FOLLOWING HEART TRANSPLANTATION (Federal Gov)
Mar 15 2011 - Jan 31 2016
CHANGE: CHANGING HEALTH CARE AND NURSING THROUGH GENETICS (Private)
Sep 1 2009 - Feb 28 2013
CHANGE: CHANGING HEALTHCARE AND NURSING THROUGH GENETICS (Private)
Sep 1 2009 - Aug 31 2012
- Hickey KT, Sciacca RR, Gonzalez P, Castillo C, Frulla AP. Assessing Health Literacy in Urban Patients with Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillators (ICDs) and Pacemakers. Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing. Sept 2015 ; 30(5): 428-434.
Biviano A, Ciacco E, Fleitman J, Knotts R, Lawrence J, Haynes N, Cyrille N, Hickey K, Iyer V, Wan E, Whang W, Garan H. Atrial Tachycardias after Atrial Fibrillation Ablation Manifest Different Waveform Characteristics:
Implications for Characterizing Tachycardias. Journal of Cardiac Vascular Electrophysiology. July 2015 (In press).
- Hickey KT, Taylor JY, Sciacca RR, Aboelela S, Castillo C, Gonzalez P, Hauser NR, Frulla AP. Cardiac Genetic Testing: A Single-Center Pilot Study of a Dominican Population. Hispanic Health Care International 2014; 12(4): 183-188.
- Kulage KM, Hickey KT, Honig JC, Johnson MP, Larson EL Establishing a program of global initiatives for nursing education. Journal of Nursing Education. 2014; 53(7): 371-378.
- Hickey KT, Hodges E, Thomas TL, Coffman MJ, Taylor-Piliae RE, Johnson-Mallard VM, Goodman JH, Jones RA, Kuntz S, Galik E, Gates MG, Casida JM. Initial Outcomes of the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Nurse Faculty Scholars (RWJF NFS) Program. Nursing Outlook. 2014; 62(6);349-401.
- Hickey KT, Sciacca RR, Biviano AB, Whang W, Dizon JM,Garan H, and Chung WK. The Association between Cardiogenetics, Arrhythmias and Quality of Life. Heart & Lung.Mar-Apr 2014;43(2):127-132.
- Pickham D, Hickey KT, Doering LV, Chen B, Castillo C. Electrocardiogram Abnormalities in the First Year after Heart Transplantation. The Journal of Electrocardiology 2014 Mar-Apr;47(2):135-139.
- Hickey KT, Sciacca, R, McCarthy M. The10 Year Experience: Graduates of The National Institute of Nursing Research Summer Genetics Institute 2013. The Journal of Nursing and Health Sciences 2013 Mar; 15(1) 3-8
- Wung SF, Hickey KT, Taylor J, and Gallek, MJ. Cardiovascular Genomics. Invited article Genomics. Journal of Nursing Scholarship 2013 Mar; 45(1)60-68.
- Hickey KT, and Rezzadeh K. Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy: Update on Clinical and Genetic Guidelines for the Nurse Practitioner 2013 May;38(5)22-31.
- Kulage K, Ardizzone L, Enlow W, Hickey KT, Jeon C, Kearney J, Schnall R, Larson E. Refocusing Research Priorities in Schools of Nursing. Journal of Professional Nursing 2013 Jul-Aug;29(4) 191-196.
- Thomas T, Strickland O, DiClemente R, Higgins M, Williams B, Hickey K. Parental Human Papillomavirus Vaccine Survey (PHPVS): Nurses led instrument development and psychometric testing for use in research and primary care screening. The Journal of Nursing Measurement 2013 Mar;21(1)96-109.
- Biviano AB, Bain W, Whang W, Leitner J, Dizon J, Hickey K, Garan H. Focal Left Atrial Tachycardias Not Associated with Prior Catheter Ablation for Atrial Fibrillation: Clinical and Electrophysiological Characteristics. Pacing Clinical Electrophysiology 2012 Jan;35(1):17-27.
- Rosner GF, Reiffel JA, Hickey, KT. The Concept of “Burden” in Atrial Fibrillation. Journal of Atrial Fibrillation (2012). Jan; 2(9)1-4.
- Doering LV, Hickey KT, Pickham D, Chen B, Drew JB. Remote Noninvasive Allograft Rejection Monitoring for Heart Transplant Recipients: Study Protocol for the Novel Evaluation with Home Electrocardiogram and Remote Transmission (NEW HEART) Study. BMC Cardiovascular Disorders.2012 Jul-Aug ;41(4) 368-373
For a complete list of publications, please visit PubMed.gov