- Professor of Nursing at CUMC
Adult Cardiology, Electrophysiology, Ventricular and Atrial Arrhythmias, and Genetics. Cardiogenetics and strategies aimed at the prevention of Sudden Cardiac Death. The use of remote cardiac technology, to improve cardiac outcomes, in high risk cardiac populations.
Dr. Kathleen T. Hickey is an Associate Professor of Nursing at Columbia University School of Nursing. She also holds a joint appointment in the Division of Cardiology (electrophysiology) as both a family and adult nurse practitioner, and is a Robert Wood Johnson Nurse Faculty Scholar. Her interdisciplinary research and clinical practice is focused in the areas of cardiogenetics, the clinical care and management of those with atrial and ventricular arrhythmias, and the prevention of sudden cardiac death. Her recent grant awards include an R01 from the National Institute of Nursing Research (iHEART) focusing on arrhythmia telehealth monitoring in those with atrial fibrillation, her newly awarded (multiple-PI) P30 award with Dr. Suzanne Bakken is focusing on improving symptom self-management for underserved populations with or at risk for chronic health conditions.
Her past research includes an R03 from the National Institute of Nursing Research focused on cardiac ECG monitoring in the detection of atrial fibrillation in those with chronic conditions, a Clinical Translational Service Award-funded pilot award, and a Columbia University Glenda Garvey Teaching Academy award that developed a remote web-based ICD learning system. She was the first recipient of Columbia University School of Nursing’s Outstanding Young Investigator Award in 2007, and was selected to attend the NINR Summer Genetic Institute in 2009 to gain a deeper understanding of the application of genetics as it relates to her focus in area of cardiac electrophysiology.
This year she will to return to the National Institute of Nursing for additional training and mentorship in the area of Precision Medicine and Bioinformatics. Her teaching in the classroom and clinical setting have focused on topics such as advanced genetics, cardiac physical assessment, 12 lead ECG interpretation, basic and advanced concepts of arrhythmia management and the care and management of those with internal cardioverter defibrillators and pacemakers. She has published in numerous peer reviewed journals, and is actively engaged mentoring DNP students and nurse practitioner students in the Columbia University School of Nursing.
- EdD, Columbia University - New York
- FNP-ANP, Pace University
- MS, New York University (NYU)
Education & Training
- Office Phone: 212 305-4944
- Fax: 212 342-5540
- Email: email@example.com
- 2010-2014 Columbia University School of Nursing PhD Exam Committee
- 2010-2013 Research Committee on the International Society on Nursing Genetics
- 2009-Present CUSON Representative, Advisory Committee on Faculty Professional Development College of Physicians & Surgeons of Columbia University
- 2009-present CUSON Representative, Advisory Committee on Faculty Professional Development, College of Physicians & Surgeons of Columbia University
- American Heart Association
- International Society on Nursing Genetics
- The Council on the Advancement of Nursing Science
Honors & Awards
- 2017 Nursing Practice Hall of Fame Inductee Teachers College Columbia University
- 2017 Invited Speaker NINR Roundtable on Precision Health
- 2017 Invited Guest Editor: Special Issue of Nursing Research: Omics
- 2016 American Heart Association Cardiovascular and Stroke Nursing (CVSN) Clinical Article of the Year Award
- 2016 Guest Editor: Special Issue of Nursing Research: Omics
- 2016 Selected to present at the IOM Roundtable on Precision Medicine and Health Literacy
- 2015 Selected to serve as an ambassador for Friends of the National Institute of Nursing Research
- 2015 Inducted as a Fellow, New York Academy of Medicine
- 2015 Certified as an Advance Practice Nurse in Genetics (Inaugural cohort through ANCC)
- 2014 Selected by the Academic Nurse Credentialing Center as Genetic Content Exam Expert.
- 2014 International Society on Nursing Genetics Founders Award, Research Award.
- 2014-16 Co-chair, the Genetic Expert Panel of the American Academy of Nursing
- 2014 Selected by the NIH and ANA to present at the IOM Roundtable on Genomics
(Only nurse scientist)
- 2013 Selected by AHA members to co-author the first educational Cardiogenomics
- 2012 Elected to the Anna Maxwell Teaching Academy, Columbia University.
- 2012 Recipient of The Woman of Outstanding Leadership in Nursing from the International Women’s Leadership Association.
- 2012 Elected as a Fellow of the American Heart Association (FAHA).
- 2011 -2016 Elected American Heart Association liaison of the Cardiovascular Nursing to the Council to Functional Genomics Council
- 2011 Elected as a fellow to the American Academy of Nursing (FAAN) induction October 2011.
- 2009-present Atrial Fibrillation Clinical Expert Advisory Board, Boehringer Ingelheim Pharma
- 2009-2012 Robert Wood Johnson Nurse Faculty Scholar
- 2009-2011 Elected to the Executive Committee, Columbia University School of Nursing
- 2009 Graduate, Summer Genetics Institute (SGI), National Institute of Nursing Research, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD
- 2008-present Member, ISONG International Society on Nursing Genetics
- 2007 1st recipient of the Outstanding Young Investigator Award, Columbia University School of Nursing
PRECISION IN SYMPTOM SELF-MANAGEMENT (PRISSM) CENTER (Federal Gov)
Aug 16 2016 - May 31 2021
HOME ECG MONITORING TO DETECT ALLOGRAFT REJECTION FOLLOWING HEART TRANSPLANTATION (Federal Gov)
Mar 15 2011 - Jan 31 2016
CHANGE: CHANGING HEALTH CARE AND NURSING THROUGH GENETICS (Private)
Sep 1 2009 - Feb 28 2013
CHANGE: CHANGING HEALTHCARE AND NURSING THROUGH GENETICS (Private)
Sep 1 2009 - Aug 31 2012
- Hickey KT, Sciacca RR, Chen B, Drew BJ, Pickham D, Carter EV, Castillo C, Doering LV. ECG Correlates of Acute Allograft Rejection among Heart Transplant Recipients in the NEW HEART Study. AJCC, 2017. In Press.
- Hickey KT, Biviano AB, Garan H, Sciacca RR, Riga T, Warren K, Frulla AP, Hauser NR, Wang DY, Whang W. Evaluating the Utility of mHealth ECG Heart Monitoring for the Detection and Management of Atrial Fibrillation in Clinical Practice. Journal of Atrial Fibrillation. 2017; 9(5).
- Taylor JY, Wright ML, Hickey KT, Housman DE. Genome Sequencing Technologies and Nursing: What are the Roles of Nurses and Nurse Scientists? Nursing Research. 2017; 66(2):198-205.
- Hickey KT, Katapodi MC, Coleman B, Reuter-Rice K, Starkweather AR. Improving Utilization of the Family History in the Electronic Health Record. Journal of Nursing Scholarship. 2017 Jan;49(1):80-86. PMID: 28094908.
- Hickey KT, Garan H, Mancini D, Colombo P, Naka Y, Sciacca RR, Abrams M, Solove M, Zeoli N, Flannery M, Garan A, Biviano A. Atrial fibrillation in patients with ventricular assist devices: Incidence, predictors, and clinical outcomes. JACC Clinical Electrophysiology. 2016; In Press.
- Hickey KT, Doering LV, Chen B, Sciacca RR, Carter EV, Pickham D, Castillo C, Drew BJ. QTc Prolongation May Be a Late Biomarker of Orthotopic Heart Transplantation (OHT). The Journal of Electrocardiology. 2016; Nov-Dec 49(6):928-929. PMID: 27968785. (See Corrigendum)
- Hickey KT, Hauser NR, Valente LE, Riga TC, Fulla AP, Masterson Creber RM, Whang W, Garan H, Jia H, Sciacca RR, Wang D. A single-center randomized, controlled trial investigating the efficacy of a mHealth ECG technology intervention to improve the detection of atrial fibrillation: the iHEART study protocol. BMC: Cardiovascular Disease 2016 Jul 16;16:152. PMID: 27422639.
- Hickey KT, Doering LV, Chen B, Sciacca RR, Carter EV, Pickham D, Castillo C, Hauser NR, Drew BJ. Clinical and Gender Differences in Heart Transplant Recipients in the New Heart Study. The European Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing. 2016 May 17. PMID: 27189203.
- Masterson Creber RM, Hickey KT, Maurer MS. Gerontechnologies for older patients with heart failure: what is the role of smartphones, tablets and remote monitoring devices for improving symptom monitoring and self-care management? 2016. 10:30. doi:10.1007/s12170-016-0511-8.
- Masterson Creber RM, Maurer MS, Reading M, Hiraldo G, Hickey KT, Iribarren S. Review and Analysis of Existing Mobile Phone Apps to Support Heart Failure Symptom Monitoring and Self-Care Management Using the Mobile Application Rating Scale (MARS). JMIR Mhealth Uhealth 2016; 14;4(2):e74. PMID: 27302310.
- Zhao Y, Liu N, Wang Y, Hickey KT. A rolling-horizon pharmacokinetic pharmacodynamic model for warfarin inpatients in transient clinical states. Personalized Medicine. 2016; 13(1), 21-32.
- Williams JK, Katapodi MC, Starkweather A, Badzek L, Cashion AK, Coleman B, Fu MR, Lyon D, Weaver MT, Hickey KT. Advanced Nursing Practice and Research Contributions to Precision Medicine. Nursing Outlook. 2016 Mar-Apr;64(2):117-23. PMID: 26712384.
For a complete list of publications, please visit PubMed.gov