Search Site

Repay your Financial Aid

Once it is time for you to graduate, there are several important steps you need to complete for your financial aid:

Exit Counseling: provides important information you need to prepare to repay your federal student loan(s)

What is Exit Counseling?
Exit Counseling is a 20-30 minute online course for borrowers of federal loans. It is required for borrowers who are graduating or who have dropped below half-time enrolment. It will explain your rights and responsibilities as a federal loan borrower. It also provides information to help you make the best choices about repayment.
How do I complete Exit Counseling?
For Federal Direct Loans (Unsubsidized and Grad PLUS): You can complete your Exit Counseling online through Student Online Services (SSOL).
For Institutional Loans (like NSL): You can complete your Exit Counseling online through ACS Education.
Do I need to complete Exit Counseling for all my loans?
Yes. You need to complete an Exit Counseling for all the loans you have borrowed, both federal direct and institutional loans.
When do I complete Exit Counseling?
You will receive an email with instructions on completing Exit Counseling about a month before your graduation, and you should complete the Exit Counseling at that time.

Repaying your loans: completed over time according to your repayment plan

What is loan repayment?
Repayment is the process of making payments to pay off the loan amount you borrowed, plus the interest that has accrued on the loan while you were in school, during any periods of authorized deferment, and during your grace period. The longer you take to repay your loans, the more you will have to pay in interest charges.
When does repayment start?
Repayment typically begins after a grace period following your graduation or your ceasing to be registered. Your first payment is typically due within 60 days of each loan’s entering repayment.
To make your payments more affordable, repayment plans can give you more time to repay your loans or be based on your income. Your federal or private loan may offer a variety of repayment plans. Repayment options are different based on the type of loan.
What are my options for repayment?
Here you'll find a list of the different options for repaying your student loans. You should periodically review your repayment plans and contact your lender, loan holder, or servicer for help in determining what options may be available. You may prepay your loan with no penalty or use one of the repayment plans available.
Who can I contact with questions on repaying my loans?
You should contact your Loan Servicer. A loan servicer is a company that handles the billing and other services on your federal student loan. They can provide you with counseling on repaying your loan, loan consolidation information, and answer any other loan questions you may have.
Am I eligible for loan forgiveness?
The federal government has several loan forgiveness programs that can help the borrower to mitigate federal student loan debt. To find out all the details on the programs below, visit, or
Public Service Loan Forgiveness
The Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) Program forgives the remaining balance on your Direct Loans after you have made 120 qualifying monthly payments under a qualifying repayment plan while working full-time for a qualifying employer, the remaining balance that you owe may be forgiven. Only payments made under certain repayment plans may be counted toward the required 120 payments. You must not be in default on the loans that are forgiven. For more information, go to Public Service Loan Forgiveness.
Nurse Faculty Loan Program
This loan forgiveness program is for nurses wishing to become a nurse faculty after completing their doctoral program. After four years as a full time faculty, 85% of the loan is forgiven. Due to limited funding, only DNP and PhD students are eligible to apply. Students that apply for the program must be committed to working as faculty and take an additional educational component with their program plan of study. Doctoral students interested in applying should contact the Office of Financial Aid.
Perkins Loan Cancellation and Discharge
The following Federal Perkins Loan Program cancellations apply to individuals who perform certain types of public service or are employed in certain occupations.
For each complete year of service, a percentage of the loan may be cancelled. The total percentage of the loan that can be cancelled depends on the type of service performed. Depending on the type of loan you have, and when that loan was taken out, you may be eligible to cancel part of or your entire loan if you have served as one of the following:
  • Volunteer in the Peace Corps or ACTION program (including VISTA)
  • Teacher
  • Member of the U.S. armed forces (serving in area of hostilities)
  • Nurse or medical technician
  • Law enforcement or corrections officer
  • Head Start worker
  • Child or family services worker
  • Professional provider of early intervention services
National Health Service Corps Loan Repayment Programs:
The National Health Service Corps offers loan repayment assistance to support qualified health care providers who choose to take their skills where they’re most needed.
  • The NHSC Loan Repayment Program
  • The Students to Service Loan Repayment Program
  • The State Loan Repayment Program